Tuesday, May 10, 2011

UPDATE! P.S. My marathon is in 4 DAYS!!!!! YIKES!!

Well, lets just say today started out a little CRAZY!! My cat Gracie stayed out all night and came in my room this morning and dropped a MOUSE right next to me as I was putting on my makeup!!!  I have NEVER screamed so loud or moved SO FAST in my life!! Hey that gives me an idea...Josh will u chase me with a mouse for 26.2 miles on Saturday? I for sure would get a kick ass time!
 Somehow I had to finish getting ready for work... but  let's get real, I could barely step in my room without freaking out and running out screaming!!! Long story short, I had to have my roommate Kristin (whom I woke up at 530 am due to my blood curdling scream) go in my room and grab my makeup because I'm a pansy, and I had to pick up my gym bag and purse with the BROOM :) I made Jon (my other roomie) aka  JR the mouse hunter promise me PROOF of a DEAD MOUSE when I got home from work!
WELL......No such luck, my cat stayed in my room most the day, but never chased out the mouse for Jon to catch and GET THE HECK OUTTA MY BEDROOM!!! I got my big girl panties on and went in to hunt for the mouse with Jon. I held up my bed while he was ready with a frying pan. NO MOUSE under the bed...It was in my closet...YUCK, I'm convinced I need all new shoes because it laid little baby mice in every single pair..lol---We (Jon) chased it out of the closet, I screamed some more and BAM..death by frying pan. Traumatic day for me, and I'm guessing the poor little mouse too.

I mean how could something so cute...

BRING IN THIS....EWWW!!

Now for the  knee update...Today my knee has felt the BEST it has since all this stupid pain started up. Went to the doctor and no meniscal or MCL tear. THANK GOD. Maybe I should stop assuming the worst and spend the whole weekend in deep dark depression!!! My knee STILL definitely hurts, and my diagnosis is Pes Anserinus Bursitis/Tendonitis---What the heck is that??



knee-anatomy-pesanserine-patellar-bursa.jpg



There are 4 major bursa in your knee including the prepatellar bursa, suprapatellar bursa, infrapatellar bursa, and pes anserine bursa; the prepatellar and pes anserine bursae are most often affected by bursitis.

Pes Anserine Bursitis

Pes anserine bursitis (often coupled with tendonitis) is a painful, inflammatory condition affecting the pes anserine bursa (and pes anserine tendon) between your shinbone (tibia) and the hamstring tendons at the inside of your knee; typically caused by stress to the area.
Specifically, the pes anserinus is the area where the tendons of 3 muscles (sartorius, gracilis, and semitendinosus) come together. The three tendons merge together in the skin of the bone on the inside surface of the shinbone. These three muscles are the dominant knee flexors that function to allow movement of the leg towards the body, influence rotation of the tibia and the external rotation of the hip, protecting the knee against rotary stress.
The pes anserine bursa lies beneath these tendons close to the shinbone, providing cushioning between the tendons and the tibia. The term, pes anserinus means "goose's foot" in Latin - owing to the webbed-foot pattern the three tendons make when they meet.
Inflammation of the pes anserine bursae or tendons usually develops due to overuse, trauma, or degradation. The most common cause of pes anserine bursitis is hamstring tightness due to a lack of warming up and stretching properly before activity, particularly LONG DISTANCE RUNNING or excessive climbing.
Causes of pes anserine bursitis include:
  • Poor sport technique or improper warm-up
  • Repetitive knee bending
  • Carrying excess load due to obesity overstressing the knee joint
  • Arthritis or osteoarthritis
  • Biomechanical issues, such as foot rolling, out-turned knees, or limping
  • A medial meniscus tear
  • Overuse or traumatic injury during athletics
What can I do to miraculously heal my knee in 4 days??

Treating Bursitis in Your Knee

Relieving the symptoms of bursitis initially focuses on taking the pressure of the bursa. This can be done with proper cushioning and equipment during activities and sports. If your bursitis is caused by an infection (septic bursitis), the doctor will probably drain the bursa sac with a needle and perscribe antibiotics to treat the infection.
For bursitis that is not caused by infection, the preliminary treatment starts with non-invasive treatments such as ultrasound thereapy, cold therapy and Blood Flow Stimulation Therapy. Surgery to remove the inflamed bursa is normally not required for bursitis, however if you fail to see improvement with the conservative treatments, your physician may recommend surgery to remove the bursa completely. Although this removes the problem of an inflamed bursa, you are left with less cushioning in your joint which can lead to a host of other joint conditions.
The most important factor in healing bursitis (and tendonitis) is resting your knee to reduce the pressure on the bursa. This can be difficult when you have to carry on with daily activities, but resting and elevating your knee whenever you can is recommended. During your recovery you will probably have to modify or avoid the activities that stress your bursa until your pain and inflammation settle. Scar tissue can often develop with tendinitis and/or bursitis. As your damaged tissues heal this dead, fibrotic tissue is naturally produced instead of forming brand new healthy tissue. This scar tissue adheres to your muscle fibers, tendons, ligaments, and nerves causing pain and preventing them from moving properly (this limits your range of motion, flexibility and strength). However, the more diligent you are with your treatment and rehabilitation, the faster you will see successful results.
Treatments should involve decreasing swelling, relieving pain and stress on the knee, correcting any biomechanical dysfunction that may be causing a shift in your gait, and then restoring strength and mobility to your knee. It is important to follow any instructions you receive from your physician. If you are performing an activity that could cause further trauma to the bursa, it is recommended that you protect the area with padding and/or proper equipment to prevent further irritation or damage.
To decrease inflammation and relieve pain caused by pes anserine or patellar bursitis rest your knee and limit activity to reduce pressure on the inflamed bursa. Then use cold therapy, ultrasound therapy and Blood Flow Stimulation Therapy (BFST) to rid yourself of bursitis.
 http://www.aidmybursa.com/pes_anserine_tendonitis.php 

SOOO...
Today I had ultrasound therapy, massage, electrotherapy, a lot of icing, and some pool time. I wanted to try the pool all weekend but had major anxiety about looking like "that girl" at the gym who frolics in the pool rather than working up a sweat on the tredmill. Yes, I'm aware of how stupid that sounds. It actually turned out to be kinda fun and felt  really good.. I'm going back in the morning for another pool session before work :) and maybe just MAYBE a little run.. Getting a little injection then back to therapy again tomorrow at 5.... THEN....LET THE 3 DAY CARB LOADING BEGIN.....

"There will be days you don't think you can run a marathon. But there will be a lifetime knowing that u have"





6 comments:

  1. yayyyyyyy!!! well of course not yay for that mouse or bursitis but YAY for being able to run your marathon...that is super great news. oh man oh man. I was diagnosed with bursitis in my hip a few weeks ago and it was brutal without PT. Luckily I have been stretching like crazy and PT has totally helped. I am totally with you and understand though...it is SO tough not to assume the worst. blah.

    you are ALMOST THERE THOUGH!!! marathon day...coming right up!!! eeek I am so unbelievably excited for you :) :) just keep that mouse in your mind and you should have no problem speeding right through those 26.2 miles :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I almost wish we would get mice in our place. We get... centipedes. Ugh. So gross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that quote at the end of your post. I am so sorry about your knee troubles but the good news is that you can run the marathon. It sounds like after the marathon maybe you need to focus on getting some physical therapy and resting that is my only advice.

    Good luck Saturday girl!!! I am so excited for you and can't wait to hear all about your race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to do amazing on Saturday!!!! I'm so excited for you and so glad you can still run it! And I HATE mice...they are so gross!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your first marathon!! You are inspiring. :)

    Hate cats...sorry! I'd rather have the mouse in my house than a cat. :)

    Hope your knee holds up for you, you'll do great!

    runningtobeskinny.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much!!! My marathon was amazing!!!!! :) Love your blog! I'm definitely going to have to follow!!!

    ReplyDelete